My name is Jude Smith and I’m the founder of She Discovers.
I was lucky enough to grow up in a house full of Ordnance Survey maps and honed my navigation skills as a teenager at weekly orienteering events. Being able to confidently use a map and compass from a young age has allowed me to fill the last 20+ years with lots of amazing adventures. I’ve completed several long-distance trails solo, including the West Highland Way, and wild camped in some beautiful places.
Along the way, I’ve met many women who’ve told me they couldn't do what I do. Some have no faith in their navigational skills, for others it’s safety concerns that are holding them back. I created She Discovers because I'm passionate about helping more women to discover new places, like-minded friends and, ultimately, the confidence to explore the outdoors.
Alongside my practical experience, I hold a range of qualifications and awards, including:
- Summer Mountain Leader (ML), Mountain Training
- Tutor Award, National Navigation Award Scheme
- Gold Award, National Navigation Award Scheme
- Off-Site Safety Management, Royal Geographical Society
- Level 3 Award Outdoor First Aid, ITC
- Mental Health First Aid, MHFA England
- England’s Coast Ambassador: Northumberland, Durham and North East
- BA (Hons) History, Durham University
I'm a member of the Mountain Training Association and the British Mountaineering Council.